Monday 10 February 2014

Self-Indulgey

So it's been a while since the last blog, my new years resolution of blogging 3 times a week is clearly going really well for me, round of applause please.

So to get things going again here is a blog about something that may or may not muster rage from deep within you.

Let's set the scene, it's a week day night, we'll say around 9pm. You're tired, grumpy, and let's face it, look a little bit like shit. You've been working all day, your make up is half wiped off your face, your mascara has done that thing where it looks like it's decaying under your eyes, and your hair is tied up in what a friend of mine likes to call a 'donkey bollock' on top of your head. If you're anything like me you're wearing baggy grey tracksuit bottoms, a baggy t-shirt (one that could substitute as a tent for a family of 4) and slippers my Grandmother would turn her nose up at.

Which is why, it BAFFLES me, that when I log into my Facebook or swipe through my Instagram feed at this time, that at least one person will have uploaded a selfie of themselves; make up in tact, pout perfected, cleavage out and stating  how 'rough' they look, likely followed by a 'haha' to just highlight how utterly hilarious the situation is.

You don't look rough. You know you don't look rough. You also know you don't look rough because of the groupies that will then continue to comment and condone this behavior by making remarks such as 'no you don't babe <3' or 'gorgeous as ever'. If I tried to do something similar on a Wednesday night, donkey bollock standing tall, I can imagine comments would be more along the lines of 'WHY GOD WHY?!?!' or 'Who's the old woman?'.

Now I'm not bitter (I am, I clearly am) that some girls can maintain a high standard of care for themselves throughout the day without a hair moving out of place or a slight nipple slip from their strategically low cut top, however my question is where does this relentless energy to look sexy all the time come from?? And to be quite honest.... why?!

Now I joke about my coming in from work and morphing into something that should be living under a bridge guarding it from goats, but it's honestly as if the moment I step in the front door my clothes suddenly morph into some form of skin irritant and I just have to quickly be in my tent top. It's my happy place.

Maybe it's a different mind set, or maybe I am just bloody lazy. However some peoples constant perseverance for perfection and appreciation really makes me ask and wonder their motives behind it. It's the girl who has taken a selfie from her bed about to 'doze off', still with fake eyelashes on. It's the girl in the gym sweating it out on the tread mill, but also sweating out her just applied foundation and eyeliner. It's the girl dressed to the nines, taking a selfie of herself looking 'sad' at a FUNERAL. WHO ACTUALLY DOES THAT AT A FUNERAL?! (There is genuinely a tumblr page dedicated to these people).

There could be many reasons for this, it could be because of that slight high we get when we try with our appearance, knowing we look good and get that glorious inebriated feeling, and this could just be how they want to feel all the time (it is nice to feel nice after all). It could be something more deep rooted and a signifier of the pressure we can feel from the media, being constantly surrounded by air brushed celebrities who look flawless on the mail online being 'caught' going to the shops. I mean, I hate it when I'm caught going to Lidl in a full face of make-up, having just got a spray tan and my hair done, so bloody awkward when I just look so dam good.

If it is because of external pressures that some girls feel the need to flaunt themselves as this constantly sexier than Jessica Rabbit persona, then IT is a sad fact of today that females feel under pressure to prove their worth by seeking for these social media highs. There is no harm in looking good and wanting to share it with the world, you aren't hurting anybody. However, if you do do it just for the simple fact that you know you look good, maybe you have an ex boyfriend that you want to show what he's missing (imagine that in a sassy voice please), or maybe you're just quite vain, then if you're going to do it STOP lying to everyone. The fact you've posted the picture shows that  you don't think you look as rough as you've stated. You're clearly a confident person, so why not just go the whole hog and say 'it's 9 pm and I've still made the effort to look as good as I did when I woke up this morning". If not then please stop inundating my time line with your lies.

If you are one of these culprits, this genuinely was not meant to offend you. It was just an attempt to clarify why some people feel the need to do this, and to maybe reinstate that you don't need to. Without risk of sounding like a life coach, girls do not not need to be sexy ALL the time, but if you feel the need to do so and also promote it, then perhaps ask yourself why?

No comments:

Post a Comment