Thursday 10 October 2013

Light-Minded Livery

Meet Agi And Sam...
http://agiandsam.com

As my time in the fashion world progresses I am becoming more and more intrigued by the realm of male fashion. It hadn't really entered my mind as a prospect before moving to London, but I have done a 180 flip, and have started to put down Glamour magazine and begun picking up the likes of GQ, Dazed and Pause.

There could be several explanations to this, it could be because I have 3 brothers and no sisters, it could be because (and I quote my Mother on this 'compliment') "I've always been a tomboy at heart"... i'd even tried with my outfit when she commented this, I proceeded to swiftly change my clothing choice. However, it could also be because there seems to be a change in the wind when it comes to male fashion, it is becoming more daring, bold, and has found it's own voice which isn't afraid to speak out. 

A collection that has recently been brought to my attention, and sparked my interest so much so that I wanted to write about it is the label 'Agi and Sam'. I was first introduced to this when looking around the PR company Exposure, and I have slowly fallen in love with the label.

When looking through some of their collection at Exposure, it was the their use of bespoke prints that appealed to me. One print in particular that consisted of small foxes and hounds caught my eye, as it held an quality of country chic, yet fits in nicely on the catwalk.



I returned to my flat to look into the label some more, and I not only became captivated by the clothes but the guys themselves, and concept behind the brand. Agi (Agi Mdumulla) studied at Manchester School of Art and Sam (Sam Cotton) studied at the University of Lincoln (big shout out to my home county there), helping put the North on the map for breeding sensational fashion designers. They stated "we believe that fashion should never be taken too seriously" on the BFC website, which I couldn't agree with more. They carry onto comment that their ideal client would be Ace Ventura Pet Detective. This light hearted approach is also transcribed on their website, I genuinely laughed out loud at some of the poses model Daniel Turner has cracked out for their SS13 collection in the 'How to Wear' section, coming across as half 70s policeman, half man you wouldn't want hanging around a playground. The great thing is that it works perfectly, and helps capture the humorous essence that they are trying to portray with their clothing. 




















Despite the jovial nature of the brand, it is definitely one to be taken seriously. The boys are working their way up, having catwalks at fashion week, and not only building on their menswear collection, with their very contrasting SS14 collection (a lot more greys and sci fi qualities as opposed to SS13) but a womanswear collection as well, and are being mentored by the likes of Paul Smith. The label is unique, endearing and prominent... so it looks like they'll be getting bigger names than the pet detective wanting to wear them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment