Monday 16 September 2013

LONDON FASHION WEEK: WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?



There seems no better way to begin a fashion blog than with one of the biggest events in British fashion itself; London Fashion Week. Being both a blog and LFW virgin, not only am I slightly inexperienced in both these areas, I am extremely nervous about presenting my ramblings on the fashion industry over the world wide web, so I beg you, be gentle with me.

With London being voted global fashion capital in 2012 for the second year running, and the direct value of the UK’s fashion industry to UK economy being £21 billion, it couldn’t be one of the most apt places to hold the biggest fashion event in the UK, and it being my first time, I was extremely excited for it.

Naomi Campbell, Vogue 1992.

However, entering the courtyard of Somerset House I was all of a sudden horrendously daunted. There were cameras, passes, size 6s and heels higher than my actual legs everywhere I looked. Standing there, with a bit of a wait until the my first show actually started (i’m new to London, and had allowed a generous hour and a half for what turned out to be a 25 minute commute) I tried to take everything in. There was only one thought going through my mind, and that was "bloody hell I'm underdressed". Girls and boys had gone all out for the event, some, that if you had put them in a frame, would not have looked out of place at Tate Modern. I was confused, being a newbie I was expecting lots of Victoria Beckham's and Rosie Hunting-Whitely's walking around, but I was mistaken, there was everything in the courtyard from the wonderful to the, if i’m honest, a bit weird. It seemed to me as if there was some form of competition going on between them all, who could stand out the most? Who could get snapped by the most bloggers and photographers? Could anyone produce a Blue Steel better than Ben Stiller? Some girls were going as far as standing in the middle of the open space and practically posing like Naomi Campbell in Vogue back in 1992, just so passers by's had the opportunity to lap up their outfits and attitude. 

So I stood there, in my pretty mellow Topshop trousers and charity shop bought shirt and wondered; Why are all these people really here? Is it just because we all share the same love of fashion, or was there something else? Were others seeking inspiration? Opportunities? Lime light? And, if I started to pose like that how long would it be before people started pelting things at me to get me to stop?
I felt there was more behind Fashion Week than just staring at pretty clothes and I wanted to know what. I wanted to know what fashion week really meant to everyone there. 
Braganza SS14

Braganza SS14
To try and answer this question I started by looking at the shows. Now they were possibly everything I expected and more, my first being Jean-Pierre Braganza SS14. Braganza is a growing icon within fashion, from being selected by Karl Lagerfeld as his protege for the AW08/9 season, to being a finalist for awards such as; the British Fashion Councils Fashion Forward award, The Swiss Textiles award, and the Mango Fashion award.. so I was expecting big things. The collection itself was beautiful, with the use of feminine textiles such as lace and silk, loosely fitting on the models slender frames. When reading about what inspired Braganza’s collection, he made what I believe to be the most adorable remark, “I’m fascinated by the controlled nonchalance with which my daughter wears her school uniform” and goes onto comment “the most attractive women in the world always give the impression that they’ve put very little effort into their outfits” and this is what the collection tries to explore, the casualness of a well over thought ensemble. We’ve all tried to achieve it, but he achieves it magnificently, making the models look chic but impromptu, they made everyone else in the room look inadequate, yet it was if they had just slung it on whilst walking out the front door. 


Tabernacle Twins SS14
Tabernacle Twins SS14
Tabernacle Twins SS14
Another show that particularly stood out for me was the Tabernacle Twins show at the Freemasons Hall. This was an extreme contrast to Braganza, being somewhat more daring in their design. The idea behind the Tabernacle Twins itself in my eyes is creative genius, before even looking at the clothes. The label is designed by Danish designer Vibe Lundemark. The approach to the design is narrative based, evolving around the fictitious characters of the ‘Tabernacle Twins’. The label follows the twins in new chapters of their adventurous journey, each collection telling a new chapter. Each collection then consists of panoramic scenes on the pieces, which define the inspiration for the relevant collection. This being my first introduction to the label I personally found this approach to design both ingenious and intriguing. The chapter that was showcased in front of us for SS14 was entitled ‘Cobra Casablanca’, with pieces showing visions of cobras, enthusing them with bold prints, free flowing materials and lace. When reading the poem that came with the press release for the collection it turned out the show itself was telling a story, each section of the show recreating a section of the poem. The entire show was well thought out and original, however I liked the concept behind the collection more than the collection itself. When researching the brand I was more drawn to their previous SS collection, enthusing turquoise, orange and black with more elegant patterns, it was much more delicate, but that’s down to personal preference. If you are after something more raw then this collection is for you. However, the brilliance with this brand is that you WANT to follow the twins on their journey and see what adventure is in store next. It’s enticing, it’s original, and it’s daring... and I will certainly be keeping track of the twins to see how they get along.

After looking at the main shows I gaged that fashion week for the designers (I didn’t get to ask any personally, apparently their are more important people to talk to than a first time blogger from Lincolnshire) was all about opportunity and courage, being able to put their creative self on a plate and present it to numerous magazines, photographers, bloggers, fans, fellow designers... the list is endless. It's an incredibly brave thing to do and something I hugely admire and am quite envious of.




The clothes are only one factor in fashion week that make it tick though, along with that there is you, the general public, the enthusiasts. So I asked “What does fashion week mean to you?” to some poor passers by, who were unexpectedly pounced on by a girl who was wearing a top that was possibly a bit too neon for ten in the morning, begging them to help me try and answer this question. I would like to thank them for, not only restraining from asking why on earth I choose to wear that colour, but for honestly answering me. 

“Lot’s of work! I work for Style etc Magazine and TK Maxx, so fashion week is a lot of hard work for us, but it’s exciting. It’s exciting to see shows and trends and you can gage a trend forecast. It’s also a great opportunity to support new designers, I think the shows with Fashion Scout is a great way to do this.” - Pearl Westwood. 
“To me it’s all about discovery; discovery of a new brand and new seasons. It’s about the future and a good insight into what will be trending next!” - Wendy Lim

  “Fashion week is a source of Inspiration for my work, i’m a Stylist and fashion blogger so it’s a fantastic opportunity me.” - Yolanda Margallo 


“It’s exciting! It’s my first fashion week and I was expecting it to be catty - but it’s not at all!” It’s all about meeting like minded people, finding the incredible and seeing the innovative”. - Nancy Le Roux (sporting a fabulous Rosemary Goodenough scarf)


“It’s inspiration and looking to the future - discovering how we are going to be shaped as a society.” - Chloe Alderstein 

“Celebration! Celebration of fashion, beauty and good taste” - Iga Nowicz 

So, Fashion Week means lots of things to different people - whether it’s discovery, the future, work, inspiration or excitement. To me however, it was about realisation. Realisation of the hard work, nice people and incredible     collections that make this fantastic event a success. At first I found the whole                     thing overwhelming, realising that I wasn’t actually the only stylist in the world trying to get their foot in the door. However, overcoming this rabbit caught in headlights state it did make me realize that no matter how hard, frustrating and demanding it’s going to be, just how much I wanted to be a part of it. 

1 comment:

  1. Refreshing to read a fashion article that is for once engaging and humorous, finally not just the top to toe paragraphs just describing outfits.

    ReplyDelete